Preschool Nap Mat

Back when my daughter was first enrolled into preschool I was informed that she would need a nap mat. Being the way I am I didn't just want the typical red and blue plastic one. No, not for her. That would surely be way too uncomfortable. So I searched for a comfy one and found the prices to be astronomical. I would not pay $50 for a nap mat when it looked so easy to make myself. I do this a lot and I always underestimate the amount of my time I will eventually invest in saving a little money. Oh well, the end result is always gratifying and personalized. So I ventured onto the web to try to find some tutorial that I could use to make one. I eventually came across this one. Definitely the coolest one with a tutorial. Thanks Jenny for getting me started. Of course I wanted it to be quilted, have a carry strap, and a Velcro closure. So what I did is this.   
       

I looked at the one from the website and got some ideas. I bought a really strong twill fabric for the floor side of the mat and a cute cotton hula girl fabric for the top. I cut them to size as well as a heavy weight quilt batting. I wanted it to be cushy. Don't forget to allow for seams.

Arrange them as follows... Batting, floor side fabric face up, topside fabric face down. Then pin. I then sewed a carry strap by using 2 layers of fabric. One of each of my colors. Pin this strap between the two printed fabrics. I pinned it so that once turned inside out it would be at the foot side of the mat and that the hula girl fabric would show up.

Now sew them all together starting at the head down one long side, across the foot side, and back up leaving a portion at least 7 inches open at the top for turning. Now turn it inside out. Once flat you can pretty it up a bit by sewing down the edges 1/2 in in or so. I also sewed lines across short ways all the way up in 13 in increments. Once you get up toward the top decide how big you want the pillow to be. I made mine 17 inches for extra stuff space. Sew a line across and stuff the pillow with batting as much as you can. Turn in the top edges and top stitch across to seal.

I then sewed Velcro to the foot end. Rolled it up (or folded if you prefer) Marked where the velcro hit and sewed the opposing Velcro on.

To add some additional flair and purpose I ironed on some letters to the outside to spell my daughter's name.


Voila! An awesome One of a kind nap mat. Flaws and all it will be loved. It is easy to wash as you just throw the whole thing into the machine.

I will try to add pictures soon. If you have any questions just ask. I will try to clarify.

Have you made one using my directions? Send me a pic. I'd love to see it!

Happy sewing!

I just came across another site with a great tutorial called Prudent baby.  check it out.

No comments: